Menu

Follow Us

The Early Byzantine Fortification Walls

The Early Byzantine Fortification Walls were built for defence and are 1809 m in legth. Some parts of the walls are visible on the surface. Their present height it 6.30 m, and width is 2.40 m. Just like in the other Western Anatolian cities and the other cities in the Lycus Valley (Laodikeia and Hierapolis), the fortification walls were built in the late 4th century-early 5th century CE. While both exterior surfaces were made of travertine blocks, the interior was filled with a stone, marble and brick filling. In addition, columns, column capitals, architrave and frieze blocks, inscribed blocks and statue bases taken from other locations were reused as building material on these walls. 

 

The Early Byzantine Eastern Fortification Walls

 

The Early Byzantine Eastern Fortification Walls

 

The Early Byzantine Southern Fortification Walls

 

The Early Byzantine Southern Fortification Walls

Announcements View All