TURKISH ACADEMIC NETWORK and INFORMATION CENTER
The Turkish Academic Network and Information Centre (ULAKBIM) was founded as a R&D Facility Institute of TÜBİTAK(*) in 1996. ULAKBIM’s main objectives have been set as operating a high speed computer network enabling interaction within the institutional elements of the national innovation system, and providing information technology support and information services to help scientific production. ULAKBIM aims at providing technological facilities such as computer networks, information technology support, and information and document delivery services, to meet the information requirements of universities and research institutions, and to increase the efficiency and productivity of their end users. ULAKBIM consists of National Academic Network (ULAKNET) Unit, which undertakes the task of formation and operation of research and education network infrastructure in Turkey, and Cahit Arf Information Center, which provides information and document supply services nationwide.
ULAKBIM consists of National Academic Network Unit, which undertakes the task of formation of academic network infrastructure in Turkey, and Cahit Arf Information Center, which provides information and document supply services nationwide.
The Missions of ULAKBİM
- To establish and operate a computer network enabling interaction within the institutional elements of national innovation system, and to provide information technologies support to help information production,
- To maintain the network interactive, high speed, open to new technologies and in global standards, in national and international context,
- To provide connections of the national network with similar networks abroad, to develop cooperation, and to represent Turkey in the level of academic and research networks on international platforms,
- To improve national network according to current needs and developments, to establish new networks and to give information services over the network,
- To carry out research and development work in the field of Information technologies,
- To offer information and document services to the end users most of whom are academicians using traditional methods and new information technologies,
- To improve and diversify the information and document services offered over ULAKNET according to current needs and developments,
- To carry out studies on making the information and document services become widespread at national level,
- To carry out work on the indexing of national periodicals and to provide access to these through the network, in order to contribute to national academic information exchange,
- To develop information exchange-based cooperations with the instituions abroad giving similar information services, and to represent TUBITAK in the level of national information and document services level on international platforms